Tuesday 13 September 2011

One Year..that is a lot it seems.

The semester ended in a way it generally did, or at least nearly so. The results a fortnight later would not be a very accurate indicator of it though. It was time to get back to our leisure, the endless hours of doing nothing, yet probably being the most productive phase of our lives. The enlightenment achieved in this time cannot be explained in lecture notes, reference books or tutorials. Yet it is important to shape us, to define who we are. Most part of the semester went by in a similar fashion, exempting the weeks towards the end, when we sort of have to complete our duties towards the university. However, it was different this time. We were not supposed to come back to that place anymore. It was time for us to go to a new one, with promise that it was not going to be the same, devoid of the intellectual partners of our leisure. It was time for us to take care of the stuff we had considered trivial in all those conversations in our leisure. How are we supposed to do that? There was no satisfactory answer to that. I was convinced I was not prepared for it. But just as life manages to make you do all the stuff that's stranger than fiction, I eventually did. While I acquiesce to the fact, I did not do an excellent job, I was competent. And I realised something. Letting go of a dream is painful. Chasing it, even more. The twist is in the hope of gaining satisfaction in achieving it someday. I knew I had to return to the path that could take me where I wanted to be and not the one I landed up in because I was not confident, and wanted to resort to the options we had initially opposed just because it was safer. That brings me here. Today. I know more about fighting than I ever did. It's not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and still move on. The importance of inches. How to fight for each one of the inches in front and willing to die for it. How everything as small and fragile as an inch is worth fighting for. In our imaginations a few years back, we did not conceive the fight, chasing a dream is all about. The temptations of glory and ego-contentment drove me into this lane. When I am finally there, I realise that the motivation of glory is not enough. It is about survival. It was always about survival. Survival is the cause and consequences of our dreams, aspirations and hopes. Dreams define the way we want to survive, not survival itself. This brings me closer to appreciate all the people who are doing so well in their lives, fighting and surviving with their dreams, which in my adolescent intellectualism I considered humble. The prestige of life is living it. The best possible way to do it is to remain guiltless in our own conscience, and justice to our own perspective. The others, who matter, will learn to understand and respect it. And if that way, manages to inspire or influence anyone else to fight their own battle, life becomes more, because it becomes light, a gift with a message.

No comments: